1000 Medical Center BoulevardLawrenceville, GA 30046678-312-1000
Strive is an Aftercare Success Program™ Member Exclusive program only.
STRIVE! is a 5-week program that will help you identify personal barriers and give you the opportunity to develop healthy skills for success. Each week will offer a new topic of discussion focusing on behavioral and nutritional content. Entering this program is a step or two beyond having the education. It means finding additional paths in your weight loss journey to make your goal a way of life. We ask that individuals make the commitment to approach this group with an open mind, to give your best effort, and to remain for the entire program.
STRIVE will offer you a safe, supportive and nonjudgmental environment where you can explore your personal challenges, discuss issues within your group, receive feedback from the group leaders and individualize your plan. This is a "closed group" where you will complete the 5-week program with the same people. This environment allows you the opportunity for accountability as well as support and encouragement of each other.
Who can Qualify for STRIVE?
- You must be within your first year post-bariatric surgery.
If you are still within your first year, ask yourself:
- Am I having difficulty achieving the optimal weight loss that I was hoping for after surgery?
- Am I having difficulty adjusting to my new lifestyle?
- Do I notice "old habits" coming back?
- Are my emotions or social interactions affecting my eating behaviros in a negative way?
If you are within the year time-frame and you answered "yes" to any of the questions above, then you may be a good candidate for the program.
Class Topics will Include:
Understanding Hunger & Mindfulness - Learn about different types of hunger and how to distinguish when you need food as opposed to something else. Develop and implement a more mindful way of living.
- What is on your Plate? - Simple meal planning and preparation will be key topics in this nutrition focused class. Recipes will be available.
- Gaining Insight - Often when people do not meet a certain goal, they are not aware of the various factors that might be getting in their way. Gaining insight or awareness of these factors will help you plan the necessary changes to help you toward your goal.
- Back in the Real World - This class will focus on how to choose foods wisely in the "real world" where many choices and stressful situations effect decisions about what and how we eat. Restaurant dining and food options for work will be addressed.
- Maintenance & Review - Maintenance comes with a whole new lifestyle. This class will make you aware of the changes you will need to make to maintain your weight loss and health achievements. The group will wrap up with a review of the content discussed.
Coronary artery disease (CAD) plays a major role in the leading cause of death in this country:
heart attack. CAD is also known as atherosclerosis. Learn more about this disease and its treatment by taking this quiz, based on information from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI).
Have the latest health and wellness information sent to your inbox.
1000 Medical Center Boulevard, Lawrenceville, GA 30046
3620 Howell Ferry Road, Duluth, GA 30096
© 2017 Gwinnett Medical Center. All rights reserved.